Are you going speed dating for the first time? Or maybe you’ve gone before but had a hard time keeping the conversation going?
Not to fear! This article has an expansive list of 300 questions that you can ask your dates at your next speed date event.
First, let’s look at how to make the most out of the conversations you’ll have. Then we’ll jump to this huge list of the best questions you can ask!
How to Get the Most Out of Your Speed Dating Conversations
The best speed dating advice is to get to know each of your dates as thoroughly as possible. Since you have a really short time to get to know each person, you’ll want to make sure you’re making the most of each conversation.
So you don’t waste time coming up with things to say, you can follow this easy conversation cycle during your time together.
First you can introduce yourself and break the ice, then you can ask and answer questions, follow up with those questions, and then say goodbye.
See, isn’t that easy?! Nothing to be intimidated by at all.
Break the Ice
The hardest part about speed dating conversations is breaking the ice. Don’t worry, because it’s really quite simple.
You can simply introduce yourself “Hi, my name is Ashley”, let them introduce themselves, and then jump right to questions “How are you doing today?”.
You can choose to break the ice with a funny question, facts about yourself, or whatever you’d like really.
The next thing you’ll do to keep the conversation going is to ask each other questions. You’ll want to ask things that really help you get to know the other person to see if they’re a good fit for you.
Choose some examples from the list that will answer the questions that are the most important to you. These usually include things like “What do you do for a living?”, “What type of things do you do for fun?”, and “What are you looking for in a relationship?”
You can choose a mix of serious and funny speed dating questions to really get to know each of your dates. It’s great to mix in “this or that” or “would you rather” questions. These will help you stand out and they can keep the conversation fun.
Your speed dating partners will likely be asking you questions about yourself as well. You should be prepared to answer these questions. You can read through the list below and not only pick out questions you’d like to ask, but rehearse what you’d say if someone asked the same things.
You should try to answer questions with more than a one-word answer. Don’t be long-winded, but thoroughly answer the query.
To make the conversation feel more natural, you should ask follow-up questions, too. Don’t just ask question after question on different topics.
For example, if you ask the question “What do you do for a living?” you can follow it up with multiple questions. Once they answer, you can say “Oh, how interesting! How do you like it?”. Then, follow that with something like “What is your favorite part of the job?”
You should also piggyback on the questions they ask you and ask what their answer to the same question is. You can reciprocate the question and ask them “What about you?” when you’re finished. This will help keep things even and make it seem like you’re interested in what they have to say about the same topics.
Even if there isn’t a love connection, you should still be polite and say goodbye to them at the end of the conversation. Let them know it was nice to meet them and wish them good luck.
Luckily, you’ll be matched up at the end of the speed dating event so you don’t have to make plans or ask them if they’d like to talk to you again. You’ll only know if you match up, or both mark down that you liked each other, once all of the dates are over.
You can simply say goodbye and good luck and move to the next conversation. This will look something like “Well, it was nice getting to know you! I hope you have a great rest of the evening!”.
Best Speed Dating Questions to Get to Know Them
Here is the ultimate list of speed dating questions that you can ask your dates in order to get to know them better. Choose questions that help you determine which dates you feel you could be compatible with.
Focus on areas that are most important to you. For example, if you love to travel, ask your speed dating partners questions surrounding travel and what their lifestyle is like.
General Speed Dating Questions You Can Ask to Get to Know Them
- What do you do for a living?
- What’s your sign?
- What time do you wake up in the mornings? On weekdays vs. weekends?
- What is your favorite thing about your job?
- What is the worst thing about your job?
- What is the first thing you do when you get home from work?
- What is your dream job?
- Do you see your family often?
- Do you have any siblings? Are you close?
- Where did you grow up?
- Where did you go to school?
- Which degrees or certifications have you completed?
- How many times a year do you travel?
- Do you own or rent your own home?
- Do you have or want kids?
- Where do you spend your holidays?
- Do you have any favorite holiday traditions?
- Do you like to workout? Which is your favorite exercise?
- Do you drink?
- Do you smoke?
- Where do you see yourself in a year? In 5 years? In 10 years?
- Are you a tidy person?
- Which of your achievements are you most proud of?
- What would your dream home be like?
- What does a regular week day look like for you?
- What do your weekends usually look like?
- What is something you look forward to every year?
- What is the best thing that has happened to you this year?
- When was the last time you laughed really hard?
- Do you like meeting new people?
- What kind of person would your friend describe you as?
- Do you like straying away from your comfort zone?
- Do you always follow traffic rules?
- Do you like to be in charge?
- What role do you take on in your social groups?
- Are you an introvert or extrovert?
- What is something that people do that really gets on your nerves?
- How well do you handle conflict?
- Do you prefer calling or texting?
- What is the hardest thing you’ve ever been through?
- What is your biggest fear?
- Tell me about your most embarrassing moment. What is the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
- Do you care what others think of you?
- What is the last nice thing you did for a friend?
- What traits do you value most in a friend?
- If your house was on fire, what would you save?
- If you accidentally took something small from a store, would you go back?
- What is your least favorite household chore?
- Which city do you want to retire in?
- What age do you plan on retiring at?
- What are the most used apps on your phone?
- What is a short-term goal you have?
- What did you do last weekend?
- Do you have any trips planned?
- Are you the center of attention or more of a wallflower?
- What is one of your favorite memories from your childhood?
- What did you do on your last vacation?
- What sets you apart from the other guys/girls here?
- What is something unique about you?
- What is something a lot of people don’t know about you?
- Do you know any good jokes?
- Are you working on any projects right now?
- Have you ever gotten arrested?
- Have you ever gotten a ticket?
- Who is the worst influence on you?
- Who is the best influence on you?
- What is something you do that you wish you didn’t?
- What is something you’d like to do more of?
- What is something you used to do that you wish you still did?
- Have you ever regretted not doing something?
Questions to Ask Them About Their Hobbies or Interests
- Which thing in life are you most passionate about?
- What is something that you are really good at?
- What do you do for fun in your free time?
- What is a guilty pleasure of yours?
- What was your favorite book when you were growing up?
- Which book did you last read?
- What kind of music do you listen to?
- Who is your favorite actor or actress?
- What did you do for your last birthday?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What is the last thing you watched on TV?
- What kind of things do you do with your closest friends?
- What are five things that would be on your bucket list?
- Can you play a musical instrument?
- Do you play video games?
- What is your favorite board game?
- What is the last CD or album you listened to?
- Do you like DIY projects? What is the last thing you did?
- If you had one day left to live, what would you do?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
- What is the best place you’ve traveled to? What did you love about it?
- Do you play any sports?
- What 3 things would you bring with you if you were stranded on an island?
- Are you artistic?
- Can you build anything?
- Which sports do you like to watch?
- Do you have a favorite celebrity?
- What hobby have you had for the longest amount of time?
- Do you play golf?
- Do you like to read?
- Do you do any sort of crafts?
- What is something special you can make?
- When was the last time you learned something new?
- What skills do you work on?
- If you could watch any sport live, what would it be?
- When was the last time you attended a live event?
- What was the last concert you went to?
- What was the first concert you went to?
- Which performer have you seen that left the biggest impact on you?
- Have you ever grown your own garden?
- Have you ever ridden an ATV?
- What is the fastest thing you’ve ever driven?
- Have you ever had a collection? What was in it?
- What is the most valuable thing you own?
- What is the first thing you’d unpack if you had to pack everything up and move?
- Which book could you read over and over?
- What movie could you watch again and again?
- Are there any TV shows that you’ve watched more than once? What was it?
- What project have you finished that you’re the most proud of?
- What hobby or interest takes up the most amount of your time?
- Have you ever loved doing something that you lost interest in?
- What project has taken you the longest?
- What video game are you best at?
- Which video games have you played from start to finish?
- What card games do you play?
- Have you ever played poker? Are you any good?
- Have you ever won when gambling?
Speed Dating Questions to Ask to Find Out About Their Views
- If you could have lunch with one famous person, who would it be?
- Are you a religious person? Would you date one?
- What is your take on global warming?
- If you could pick someone to be president, who would it be?
- What values are most important to you?
- Which trait of yours are you most proud of?
- What advice would you give to your younger self, if you could?
- What is the meaning of life to you?
- If you could solve one problem in the world, what would it be?
- Do you think most people are good?
- Who do you admire and why?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- What things in life fill your cup? What fulfills you the most?
- Who in your life has had the most influence on you?
- What things are you the most grateful for in your life?
- How much of a priority is your faith?
Questions to Ask About What They’re Looking For
- What are 5 things that would be on your relationship checklist?
- What is the most important thing you look for in a partner?
- What ruined your last relationship?
- How long were your past relationships?
- Why are you speed dating?
- Have you tried online dating? Did you like it?
- Are you looking for a serious relationship?
- What are your relationship goals for the next 5 years?
- What are your relationship deal-breakers?
- How long has it been since your last serious relationship?
- Is this your first time speed dating?
- What qualities do you look for in the perfect guy/girl?
- What made you come here today?
- How long have you been single?
- How important is it to you to meet someone?
- Do you have a type?
- What kind of girl/guy would you want to introduce to your family?
- If you have kids, how do they feel about you dating?
- Are you afraid of commitment?
- Do you believe monogamy is best?
- How much do you prioritize romantic relationships?
Fun and Interesting Speed Dating Questions
Use these interesting and funny speed dating questions to evoke a deeper conversation with your dates. These are fun questions to ask that will get your date’s mind working and allow them to tell you some interesting things about themselves.
“This or That” Questions to Ask Them
- Boxers or briefs?
- Morning person or night person?
- Spring or fall?
- Winter or summer?
- The Walking Dead or The Office?
- Sunrise or sunset?
- City life or country life?
- Coffee or tea?
- Coke or Pepsi?
- Mountains or the beach?
- Drive or fly?
- Camping or glamping?
- Rock or country?
- Dogs or cats?
- The beach or the ski slopes?
- Snowboarding or skiing?
- Relaxing or adventure?
- Gifts or experiences?
- Minimalism or maximalism?
- Chocolate or vanilla?
- TV show or a movie?
- Dine-in or take-out?
- Chess or monopoly?
- Nintendo or Xbox?
- Audiobooks or regular books?
- Podcasts or Youtube?
- Own a home or travel the world?
- Do the dishes or vacuum?
- Cookies or cake?
- Camping or hotels?
- Meat or vegetables?
- Are you negative or positive?
- Are you lazy or adventurous?
- Are you energetic or a couch-potato?
- Are you bossy or passive?
- Are you passive or aggressive?
- Are you a lover or a fighter?
- Are you free or structured?
- Are you loud or quiet?
- Are you organized or messy?
- Are you bold or subtle?
- Do you take risks or play it safe?
- Do you speak out or keep quiet?
- Do you take charge or follow instructions?
- Do you overshare or undershare?
- Do you prefer Chinese or Mexican food?
Would You Rather Speed Dating Questions to Ask
- Would you rather swim with the dolphins or relax on shore?
- Would you rather go on a blind date or go to the dentist?
- Would you rather pay $1,000 or learn to do something yourself?
- Would you rather win the lottery or accumulate millions from your own achievements?
- Would you rather receive a yacht or an airplane?
- Would you rather be rich or famous?
- Would you rather be able to read minds or tell the future?
- Would you rather plan a vacation or go somewhere spontaneously?
- Would you rather watch a horror movie or a comedy?
- Would you rather go to your favorite vacation destination or explore a new place?
- Would you rather work physically hard or mentally hard?
- Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
- Would you rather go dancing or sing karaoke?
- Would you rather be with someone really funny or really good-looking?
- Would you rather go out on a date or stay in?
- Would you rather have a game night or watch a movie?
- Would you rather play in the water or land?
- Would you rather win a million dollars or solve a problem in the world?
- Would you rather own 5 dogs or 5 cats?
- Would you rather visit another country or go on a cruise?
- Would you rather buy a house or rent an apartment?
- Would you rather pet a bear or a snake?
- Would you rather be in the sunshine or the rain?
- Would you rather be in a small group or a crowd?
- Would you rather be indoors or outdoors?
- Would you rather be in a play or in the audience?
- Would you rather be laughing or learning?
Questions to Learn Their Likes and Dislikes
- What is your favorite drink?
- What is your favorite food?
- Do you like to cook?
- What is the last movie you saw? How would you rate it on a scale of 1-10?
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite season?
- What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
- Do you have a favorite film director? Who is it?
- Who is your favorite animated character?
- What are your favorite pizza toppings?
- What would you never put on a pizza?
- Who is your favorite superhero?
- Who is your favorite comedian?
- Who is your favorite person (living or dead)?
- What is your favorite animal?
- Do you like talking or listening more?
- Do you like sweets or salty treats?
- What is your favorite smell?
- What is your current favorite song?
- What TV show do you want to watch but haven’t yet?
- What makes you mad?
- What foods will you refuse to eat?
- What type of clothes won’t you wear?
- Any colors you don’t like?
- What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday morning?
- What kind of things annoy you?
- What is your favorite task at work?
- What type of things do you dread doing?
- Do you like waking up early?
- Are you happier in the morning or at night?
- What is the worst thing someone could say to you?
- What is something that could instantly fix a bad day?
- What is the worst thing that has happened to you on a date?
- Do you like sushi?
- What is the most annoying sound you’ve ever heard?
- What is something you like to hear?
- What is the worst thing you’ve ever tasted?
- What is the best thing you’ve ever tasted?
Romantic and Flirty Speed Dating Questions to Ask
- Do you believe in good luck? Or do you think our meeting was destined to happen?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- When was your first kiss?
- Who was your first crush? How old were you?
- Do you want to take me out for drinks or dinner?
- Do you like cuddling?
- What is your biggest turn on?
- Which things turn you off?
- If I were your boyfriend/girlfriend, what pet name would you give me?
- What would you do if I kissed you right now?
- How would you rate your back rubs on a scale of 1-10?
- What’s the first thing you notice about a guy/girl?
- How do you like your coffee in the morning?
- Which side of the bed do you prefer?
- How hot do you take your showers?
- So, where do you think we should go on our first date?
- Would you ever go skinny dipping?
- Can you guess where I have a tattoo?
- What’s your favorite part of your body?
- Do you like to hold hands?
- What is your love language?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- What do you think of PDA?
Speed Dating Conversations FAQ
How long do you have to talk to each person when speed dating?
Each speed dating round is generally around 3-5 minutes. You’ll want to verify the amount of time you get with each person before the event starts. This will help you narrow down what you want to ask each partner.
How do you start a speed dating conversation?
To start a speed dating conversation, you’ll want to first introduce yourself and then break the ice with a question. The question can be something general that will allow you to get to know your date, or you can choose something funny or interesting.
What questions should you ask when speed dating?
When speed dating, you should ask questions that will help you get to know each of your dates. This will help you find out if they are compatible with you. Ask them questions about their lifestyle, goals, and preferences.
Although the thought of sitting down and talking to a bunch of strangers while speed dating might be intimidating, it doesn’t have to be! If you follow the simple conversation formula above, you’ll do just fine!
It’s important to have a few of these questions ready to go to keep the conversation flowing. Remember to ask each date some questions that will help you get to know what kind of person they are, what their interests are, and if they are a good match for you.